The Union Cabinet recently approved a new centrally sponsored scheme- PM Shri School (PM Schools for Rising India scheme).
Features of PM Shri School (PM School for Rising India) Scheme
More than 14,500 schools across the country will be developed as PM Shri Schools to showcase all the components of National Education Policy (NEP) 2020 under PM Shri School Scheme.
- PM Shri School Scheme will be implemented over a period of five years from the year 2022-23 to 2026 with a total project cost of Rs 27,360 crore which is expected to benefit 18.7 lakh students.
- Under this scheme, nurturing gardens with solar panels and LED lights, natural farming, waste management, plastic free, water conservation and water harvesting, study of traditions/practices related to protection of environment, climate change hackathon and awareness to adopt organic lifestyle will be encouraged. In brief, PM Shri Schools will be developed as Green Schools incorporating eco-friendly aspects.
- There would be emphasis on how the child is learning and progressing. The learning ability of children of all classes will be monitored.
- Assessment at all levels will be based on conceptual understanding, application of knowledge in real life situations and aptitude.
- Local industries and Sector Skill Councils (SSCs) will assist in enhancing employability and providing better job opportunities.
PM SCHOOL FOR RISING INDIA SCHEME – Implementation Strategy
- According to education ministry officials, 14,000 schools have to be developed as PM-Shri schools.
- These schools will be selected through a three-stage challenge.
- All the schools will compete amongst themselves to become the “exemplary” school. Schools will have to apply for this competition through the online portal. The portal will be opened four times a year, once in every quarter for the first two years of PM Shri School Scheme.
- For the selection of the “exemplary” schools, geo-tag monitoring method will be used and the process of selection will be supervised by an expert committee.
- The schools will be “technically driven” and will be developed as Green Schools, which will include eco-friendly equipment like solar panels, LED lights, nurturing gardens with natural farming, waste management, plastic free environment, water conservation and harvesting.
- PM Shri Schools will be implemented through the existing administrative structure available for Samagra Shiksha, KVS and NVS.
- Other autonomous bodies will be involved on specific project basis as required.
- These schools will be closely monitored to assess the progress and to understand the challenges faced in the implementation of National Education Policy 2020.
Importance of PM Shri School Scheme
PM Shri Schools will act as exemplary schools and will also provide support and guidance to other schools around them. PM Shri Schools will create and nurture holistic and well-developed individuals with vital skills of the 21st century.
Click here for Govt. Progs News – Govt Programmes UPSC